How should we market our tech to enterprises? There are plenty of suitable categories: BaaS, IaaS, PaaS

Komodo's Enterprise Offering

I came across Red Hat Openshift's blog post about how they are offering a Platform as a Service relating to cloud computing. That got me super excited as I found so many similarities with Komodo and our vision.

The page helped me to understand our strengths versus public blockchain platforms better. That brings us to the question: could we say Komodo offers Platform as a Service?

Something as a Service

There are many established categories for "as a service" solutions.

• SaaS - Software as a Service
  • PaaS - Platform as a Service
  • IaaS - Infrastructure as a Service

Our industry has added one to the list: BaaS, which of course stands for Blockchain as a Service.

I have been looking into these and trying to understand which one would best describe what we are going for. However, the situation is not as clear-cut as I had first thought.

BaaS

In my mind, a Blockchain as a Service should mean that business gets to use a native chain of their own. However, it seems it also carries another meaning, in which a business is using a public blockchain as a service.

A quick search and among the first results is:

Ethereum Blockchain as a Service now on Azure

In everyone’s mind, BaaS refers to a public blockchain platform offering. That is why I find the term problematic if we would like to draw a clear distinction between Komodo and the other platforms.

PaaS

I talked with our lead marketing strategist Steve, who has a lot of enterprise experience as he has worked in numerous fortune 500 companies. Through those chats, I have come to understand that a full PaaS offering would require a lot more from our side. For example, we would need to develop a complete web portal interface through which businesses could tweak, manage, and monitor their platform.

In any case, it does seem like things are headed that way as we are building complete end-to-end blockchain solutions. If we would take this as a target, I'm sure our team could push forward with the plan and at some point have a fully fledged PaaS solution for the enterprise.

IaaS

We are building underlying infrastructure for blockchain ecosystem so saying we provide IaaS services seems appropriate.

What does it mean? I searched Wikipedia for an answer, and they say:

Infrastructure as a service (IaaS) refers to online services that provide high-level APIs used to dereference various low-level details of underlying network infrastructure like physical computing resources, location, data partitioning, scaling, security, backup etc.

IaaS would be one level lower than PaaS, and thus closer to what we currently have. The way I understand is such that we would have to be less hands-off with IaaS offering than PaaS.

My Conclusions

Currently, I'm thinking if we could build a roadmap for these enterprise solutions, starting from BaaS.

BaaS --> IaaS --> PaaS

With each step we would add more and more to our offering, eventually giving businesses a complete toolset and interface to operate a platform of their own.

We should also reach out to all projects/companies working on the 0x platform. Komodo DEX is much better. Ethereum will "most likely" eventually go away because of its scalability issues. Time for Komodo to pitch to these companies developing projects on 0x to move their development to Komodo. Why would they want to waste time/labor on Ethereum?